Purpose, Mission & Objectives
The purpose of IAPHS is to foster scientific innovation and discovery to improve the health of populations and reduce health disparities. The mission of IAPHS is to provide a forum that will connect population health scientists across disciplines and sectors, advance the development of population health science, and promote its application. IAPHS carries out its mission by pursuing three objectives:
- Advance population health science
- Improve population health by promoting the communication and application of science
- Support population health scientists in their careers
Vision of IAPHS
IAPHS is a big-tent scientific community dedicated to advancing population health science in the service of improved health, well-being and health equity. It recognizes that effectively addressing population health challenges requires the contributions of people with diverse skills and perspectives. It brings into its tent individuals who differ with respect to scientific discipline, employment sector, career stage, life experience, race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, gender expression, ability, political persuasion, and cultural values. Click here to read the full vision statement.
IAPHS is arriving at a crucial time for population health.
What does IAPHS do?
- Annual Conferences that convene and facilitate interaction among scientists from different disciplines as well as population health practitioners
- The IAPHS Blog – the hot spot for population health science information and exchange on the IAPHS website features research highlights, commentaries, and occasional interviews
- A Mentoring Program that supports the professional development of population health scientists and practitioners.
- Webinars and Podcasts on topics in population health and professional development
- Workshops on topics ranging from interdisciplinary science to communicating science to policy and practice professionals.
- Partnerships with other organizations seeking to advance population health, training and communication.
- Up-to-date announcements of job, training and funding opportunities; upcoming conferences and webinars, calls for submissions, and new publications relevant to population health
- A curated library of resources for population health professionals, including data resources; teaching materials and information on training in population health science, tools for translation, a searchable directory of population health experts, and more
- An awards program that recognizes outstanding accomplishments in science, translational activities, and mentoring
- An IAPHS Podcast, Sick Individuals/Sick Populations
IAPHS is led by six officers: a President-Elect, President, Past President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Executive Director. All officers except the Treasurer and Executive Director are elected by the membership. The Board of Directors includes the six officers and ten additional Board members: nine regular members serving staggered three-year terms and a Student Board Member serving a two-year term.
Information on previous leadership is available here.
IAPHS elections are held annually. All individual members of IAPHS are eligible to vote. IAPHS strives to achieve diversity in the leadership of the organization along many dimensions, including discipline, career stage, race/ethnicity, and engagement in basic research vs. practice/policy.
See the IAPHS Bylaws for more information.
Committees are the backbone and life-blood of IAPHS. Committees provide oversight, organize activities, carry out essential functions, and guide and advise the leadership on how the organization can best achieve success.
Joining an IAPHS Committee is a great way to get involved, form new professional relationships, and make a tangible difference in the course of the association. Email us at email@example.com if you’d like to volunteer.
During its planning phase, many volunteers stepped forward to join committees. They came from many different disciplines and represented over 50 organizations concerned with population health. They made IAPHS what it is today.
Help IAPHS Chart its Path!
How would you like to help build IAPHS? As an officer, Board member, or committee member? By spreading the word to your colleagues – especially others with different skillsets – and encouraging them to join? By making a tax-deductible contribution? With your help, IAPHS will become an essential asset to all those concerned with population health. Find out more about how you can help IAPHS chart its path.
The Interdisciplinary Association for Population Health Science (IAPHS) has 6 award opportunities for members of the organization, described below. To be eligible, individuals are required to be current members of the organization. Self nominations are acceptable. Award winners are recognized at the annual meeting.
View our YouTube Channel (click icon in the upper left for playlist)
The Interdisciplinary Association for Population Health Science (IAPHS) was incorporated January 5, 2015 and was recognized as a charitable organization (501(c)(3)) on April 27, 2015. IAPHS launched as a membership organization on September 19, 2016. Click here to join IAPHS >